[Hac-announce] Book Group Announcements

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 06:10:12 EDT 2013

Our next book discussion group meeting will be on Sunday, October 20 at
2:00 pm.  We will be meeting at Stepany Cousin's home in Bethany, CT.  Her
directions and address will be circulated shortly before the discussion.

We will be discussing Sam Harris's "Free
Will"<http://www.samharris.org/free-will> A
belief in free will touches nearly everything that human beings value. It
is difficult to think about law, politics, religion, public policy,
intimate relationships, morality—as well as feelings of remorse or personal
achievement—without first imagining that every person is the true source of
his or her thoughts and actions. And yet the facts tell us that free will
is an illusion.  In this enlightening book, Sam Harris argues that this
truth about the human mind does not undermine morality or diminish the
importance of social and political freedom, but it can and should change
the way we think about some of the most important questions in life.

Free Will is available in many public libraries.  It is also available as a
Kindle or Nook Single at a very low price.  This is a very short book, and
despite the short time, no one should have difficulty completing it by Oct.
20.

We had announced at the book discussion group that we would have as an
additional reading Sam Harris's essay: Lying<http://www.samharris.org/lying>.
 That essay was available as recently as this past Saturday afternoon for
downloading for a charge of $1.  It is no longer available, however,
probably because a new (presumably expanded) edition is coming out in
November.  So, we will not be discussing that essay.