[Hac-announce] Invitation to Book Disucssion Of The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer

Rebecca Williams rebecca.humanist at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:56:11 EDT 2018

Our friends in Fairfield wanted me to personally invite you to the a book
discussion of The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer, NYT bestselling author
of The Interestings, in Westport.  Details are below.  If anyone wishes to
carpool from the New Haven area, please let me know.

Saturday, June 16, 2018
8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
Panera Bread, 1860 Post Road East, Westport

TO RSVP:  https://www.meetup.com/HFFCCT/events/246357705/ OR respond to
this email.

*An Amazon Best Book of April 2018:
<https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=17143709011> There’s nothing like a crush –
the all-consuming gush of obsession and excitement that shocks the system
into euphoria. We often read about romantic infatuation, but in The Female
Persuasion, Meg Wolitzer sets her sights on another kind – female
friendship and mentorship, and the craving to be heard and admired by the
one you admire. It’s a rich and satisfying novel – it will be called timely
–about Greer Kadetsky, a young woman coming of age and finding inspiration
in feminist icon, Faith Frank, who evolves throughout the novel from
abstract celebrity, to boss, confidant and challenger who pushes Greer to
confront reality. “Maybe that's what we want from women, Greer thought as
her thumb pulsed and percolated with blood. Maybe that's what we imagine it
would be like to have a woman lead us. When women got into positions of
power, they calibrated and re-calibrated tenderness and strength,
modulating and correcting. Power and love didn't often live side by side.
If one came in, the other might go.” This novel shimmers with hope and
yearning and examines just how potent (and complicated) female support can
be in a world that does not always champion women. —Al Woodworth*

*Rebecca Williams*

*(203) 900-4221*

Vice President, Hartford Area Humanist www.hartfordhumanist.org
<http://www.hartfordhumanist.org/about>

Treasurer, The Humanist Association of Connecticut www.cthumanist.org

Secretary, Connecticut Coalition of Reason ctcor.org

*Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without supernaturalism,
affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives
capable of adding to the greater good of humanity. American Humanist
Association <http://americanhumanist.org/>*