[Hac-announce] USNH Cinema: Harvest of Empire

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Thu Oct 3 16:42:43 EDT 2013

As you may know, David and June Schafer run the USNH Cinema event on the
first Friday of each month at 700 Hartford Turnpike in Hamden.

This is David's description of tomorrow night's event:

"Our second USNH Cinema of the season is set for Friday, October 4, at
6:30 p.m.), in the USNH Social Hall. The film, “Harvest of Empire: A
History of Latinos in America,” argues powerfully that pressures for
emigration from seven states of Latin America have long been partly the
direct result of harmful U.S. interventions in those countries. Among
many moving interviews TV journalist Geraldo Rivera describes the
experiences of his own family as immigrants from Puerto Rico. Also
prominent among the cast are NPR reporter Maria Hinojosa, Rev. Jesse
Jackson, ACLU director Anthony Romero, and 1992 Nobel Peace Prize winner
Rigoberta Menchu. The potluck dinner will begin at 6:30 and the
92-minute film will start promptly at 7:00. Afterward we’ll have a full
discussion. Come and bring a friend!"

Regards,

	Richard Siddall