[Hac-announce] HAC Conversations, May 4, 2:30 pm

L.M.C. Harvey lmcharvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 2 02:12:06 EDT 2013

You
are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the mailing
list of
 the
Humanist  Association of Connecticut.  To unsubscribe click
on the link below.

HAC
Conversations</b>, May 4, 2013  2:30 p.m. at the Unitarian
Universalist Center,  Hamden

 				After,
“I don't believe …,” what do we say?

	Recently in both
the book discussion about Greg Epstein's “Good Without God” and
after Robert Tapp's talk at our April meeting questions arose about
defintions of  “secular” and “spiritual”  These were lively
discussions but no one will be surprised to hear there were no simple
conclusions.  But perhaps bringing out ideas about these concepts is,
itself, the important thing.

	Today we'll
continue the discussion and, perhaps, get to a few more of the touchy
ideas like “agnoticism, atheism and purpose.”  There are also a
couple of video's related to defining or explaining important ideas
that we probably mostly take for granted like self and mind.  These
are listed below.

Antonio
Damasio, “Self Comes to Mind,” and many other titles.  Mar, 2011,
 Ted Talk,

http://www.ted.com/talks/antonio_damasio_the_quest_to_understand_consciousness.html

 Neil
Degrasse Tyson  ---  on being claimed by/as atheist.  ~”Being
agnostic separates me from the conduct of atheists.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos

Andrew
Newberg,  “Why God Won't Go Away”  Is the brain hard-wired for
God?  You Tube origin of clip not cited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxREBlWvxfk

Cynthia
Harvey, Coordinator

Note:
Questions and suggestions may be sent to
Conversations at cthumanist.org.

and
follow the instructions at the bottom.