[Hac-announce] Humanist Cinema FRIDAY NIGHT, April 5

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Wed May 1 12:32:31 EDT 2013

Below is an announcement of this Friday evening's potluck dinner (optional)
and USNH Cinema.  You're invited!

David

THIS FRIDAY, MAY 3, AT 6:30 PM - POTLUCK DINNER (OPTIONAL) AND USNH CINEMA,
"THE HOUSE I LIVE IN" -- This documentary is a stunningly suited
companion-piece to the UUA's Common Read for 2012-13, Michelle Alexander's
"The New Jim Crow."  The film's producers offer the following synopsis:
"From the dealer to the narcotics officer, the inmate to the federal judge,
[this film is] a penetrating look inside America's criminal justice system,
revealing the profound human rights implications of U.S. drug policy."  And
here's a selection of viewers' comments:

"I just finished reading 'The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of
Colorblindness' by Michelle Alexander and this movie was a great
accompaniment."

 "A well-rounded look at the drug 'war,' racism, classism, and how they all
connect to our judicial system."

 "This is a very good entry point into people becoming aware of the drug war
that is happening in America."

"So much effort and money spent, with the end result that we have
accomplished worse than nothing."

"[This film is] a really stunning look at reality for those who have bought
into the villainization of drug users and sellers that has been the norm of
American media and entertainment for decades. This film helped me to learn
about the elephant in the room when it comes to U.S. politics, justice, and
economics. Here's my full endorsement: Thanks for the education! . The roots
are in floundering desperation which.we cause   with prejudice, bigotry,
miseducation and corralled poverty. The 'drug war' is one aspect of a war on
the poor."

"[It] is a detailed and critical look at 'the War on Drugs,' now more than
40 years on since President Nixon declared that war in 1971..  The picture
that eventually emerges is devastatingly bleak: despite over $1 trillion
spent and 45,000,000 arrests since 1971, the situation today is no better
now than it was then, if anything, it is a lot worse."

"I thought this movie was really well done, the way it developed the topic
and presented it. This along with Ken Burns film 'Central Park Five' and the
book 'The New Jim Crow' by Michelle Alexander paint[s] a tragic picture of
injustice right here in America. I first heard about this issue on NPR when
they interviewed Michelle Alexander on her book. It grabbed me right away. I
highly recommend this movie."

The USNH Adult Religious Education Committee and the Anti-Racism Group
warmly invite you to join us for this month's Potluck Dinner/USNH Cinema
this Friday, May 3:  Dinner (optional) at 6:30 pm in the Social Hall,
screening promptly at 7:00, to be followed by an open discussion.  You won't
want to miss it!