[Hac-announce] Visit to Harriet Beecher Stowe Center and next month's book selection.

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 12:33:34 EST 2012

We will be discussing Uncle Tom's Cabin on Sat. Feb. 25, at 3:00 pm in
Hamden.  We have also arranged for a private tour of the Harriet Beecher
Stowe Center (the author's former home in Hartford) for earlier that day at
11:00 am.  The tour is separate from the book discussion; you should feel
free to join us regardless of whether you have read the book or plan to
attend the discussion.    Please contact me if you plan to attend the tour
at the Stowe Center (and indicate if you are bringing a guest) so that I
can give them a reasonably accurate headcount.  Last minute additions are
welcome!   Also, there are many good restaurants nearby the center.  Those
who wish can meet for lunch before heading down to USNH for the discussion.
 The cost of the tour is $8.

At least one person has expressed an interest in carpooling to Hartford  If
anyone else is interested in meeting at the USNH to carpool, please let me
know, and I will help you to coordinate. Please let me know if you are
willing to drive.  The center is in a very safe part of Hartford, and it is
not necessary to drive through the downtown area.  Parking is plentiful and
free.

At the end of the afternoon discussion, we will pick a book to read in
March.  Here are two candidates:

The Age of American
Unreason<http://www.amazon.com/Age-American-Unreason-Vintage/dp/1400096383/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329066028&sr=1-1>by
Susan Jacoby.  This book addresses the decline of rational thought and
intellectualism in American culture and politics.  We previously read
Jacoby's "The Freethinkers".  Here is a link to a NYT review of the Age of
American Unreason <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/books/11kaku.html>.

God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save
America<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=god%27s+harvard&x=0&y=0>by
Hanna Rosin.  Rosin writes about Patrick
Henry College <http://www.phc.edu/>, an evangelical school that attracts
mostly home-schooled students and prepares them to yield a greater
influence on American politics and culture.  Here is a  NYT review of the
book. <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/books/review/Easton-t.html>

Both books are widely available in public libraries throughout Connecticut.

If anyone would like to suggest another book for consideration by the
group, please email me.

Thanks -

Dan Blinn