[Hac-announce] Book Group Announcements

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:38:36 EST 2012

There is still plenty of time to pick up and read our next book, Breakfast
With Buddha<http://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Buddha-Roland-Merullo/dp/1565126165>-
it is a short and easy read.  The discussion will be on Sat., Dec 22
at
3:00 pm at USNH in Hamden.  Refreshments will be served.

After that, we will discuss
Freefall<http://www.amazon.com/Freefall-America-Markets-Sinking-Economy/dp/B007SRWER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355149889&sr=1-1&keywords=freefall+stiglitz>
at
USNH on Sat, Jan. 19.  Manny Ratafia will moderate that discussion.

Our next book after that will be The Better Angels of our Nature: Why
Violence Has Declined<http://www.amazon.com/Better-Angels-Our-Nature-Violence/dp/0143122010/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355150058&sr=1-1&keywords=better+angels+of+our+nature>.
  This is a lengthy book, and when we meet on Dec. 22, we will discuss and
decide whether we want to break the discussion into two parts or,
alternatively, allow a little more time to complete the book by perhaps
scheduling the discussion for late February or early March.

After we have finished these books, we will circulate a survey of possible
works of fiction.  We'll include on the survey some of the books proposed
in past surveys that had strong support.  If anyone wants to suggest
another book, please let me know.  When you suggest a book, you should
indicate whether you have read it, why you think it would be a good choice,
and whether you would be willing to moderate the discussion.

Happy Reading, and I look forward to seeing many of you on Dec. 22 (if not
sooner!)

Dan