[Hac-announce] Carl Sagan Day

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 14:30:42 EDT 2011

Tomorrow evening, Friday, November 4, at 6:30 p.m. in the USNH Social Hall,
700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, you're all invited to help us celebrate what
would have been the 77th birthday of Carl Sagan (November 9, 1934 - December
20, 1996), one of the greatest Humanists of the 20th century.  To honor the
occasion we plan to show three excerpts (about an hour and a half in all)
from Carl's 13-episode TV series "Cosmos."  We'll start off with a potluck
dinner promptly at 6:30 p.m., begin the showing at 7:00, and follow with our
usual energetic discussion.

Right up to his premature death at age 62 from a malignant form of
myelodysplasia, Carl was generally considered the world's leading
spokeperson for our evolving understanding of the known universe, and
especially the place of life, particularly conscious life, in it.  His skill
as a communicator is illustrated by such words as these, which captured the
imaginations of an entire generation:  "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium
in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made
in the interiors of collapsing stars.  We are made of starstuff."

Many of today's leading astronomers and cosmologists first felt compelled to
undertake the study of these subjects upon listening to Sagan's persuasive
accounts.  If you have never seen Sagan's "Cosmos," or would simply like to
relive your earlier reactions to it, join us for a memorable evening,
complete with a lively discussion of the philosophical, inspirational, and
other social implications of the TV series.  For further information call
David or June Schafer, (203) 281-6232.