[Hac-announce] Correspondence with a Relative

Thomas Platt tplatt13 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:37:42 EDT 2011

Hi _____,

I have to say I found this cartoon to be an objectionable
distortion.  It would be potent grist for an antidefamation league
that doesn't exist, not only for secular humanists, but for many
others who feel strongly about science and science education.  No
doubt I started this with my self-deprecating hymn/bullfrog
comments.  Thanks for calling it to my attention.

As for Charles Darwin's personal beliefs, perhaps this very short
quotation in his own words from "Religious Belief By Charles
Darwin",  an extract from "The Autobiography of Charles Darwin" at
http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/library/cd_relig.htm will do for the
present on a complicated subject:

"I cannot pretend to throw the least light on such abstruse problems.
The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble to us; and I
for one must be content to remain an Agnostic."

	Love, Tom