[Hac-announce] Next Book Reading: The Grapes of Wrath

Dan Blinn dblinn at consumerlawgroup.com
Mon Jul 18 08:17:01 EDT 2011

The Book Discussion Group's next read will be John Steinbeck's classic "The Grapes of Wrath"  It is available in all libraries.  Heck, it is probably on your bookshelf.  It will be my privilege to serve as moderator for the discussion, which will be on Saturday, August 27 @ 3:00 pm.

We are hoping to watch the film the night before on Friday, August 26.  This would be a joint event with the USNH and will start with a pot-luck supper at 6:30 pm.  Please look for future announcements.

Note - if you plan to skip the book and only watch the film, please do yourself a favor and, at the very least, read the last chapter.  Although John Ford's 1940 film adaptation is a masterpiece that you'll find on most top 100 all time film lists, the prevailing standards didn't permit him to include what many consider to be the most powerful endings to a novel ever written.  And, please don't take this suggestion as a pass to skip the reading.  Steinbeck won a Pulitzer for this novel, and it is the main reason that he later won a Nobel prize.

Hope to see you on 8/27 -

Dan Blinn