[Hac-announce] Humanist Advertising

phungis at comcast.net phungis at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 23:04:09 EDT 2010

http://unitedcor.org/

busad_WashingtonDCcor_live_1a.jpg

October 19, 2010 Godless Bus Shelter Ads along National Mall Launch New Coalition
Will Be Seen by Crowds at Jon Stewart Rally and Science Expo

For Immediate Release

(Washington DC, October 19, 2010) "Don't Believe in God? Join the club."

These words are part of prominent bus shelter ads near the National Mall in Washington DC that will be visible to pedestrians and drivers on Independence and Constitution Avenues for the next four weeks. Thus they will be seen by those who work in the area as well as visitors attending such Mall events as the USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo on October 23 and 24, the dueling rallies of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on October 30, and the 35th Marine Corps Marathon on October 31 (miles 18 and 19).

The 67"x46" bus shelter ads feature the words superimposed over an image of a blue sky and fluffy clouds. They were placed by the new Washington DC Area Coalition of Reason (Washington CoR) with $7,875 in funding from the United Coalition of Reason (United CoR).

Washington CoR is made up of 12 area groups which, according to its website, seek to "enhance the growth, visibility and acceptance of nontheists throughout the metro area" and promote "wider acceptance of a more rational view of the universe and a more compassionate view of those who live in it." A complete list of the participating organizations and friends of the coalition can be found at http://washington.unitedcor.org/node/7 . Members of these groups plan to march under a Coalition of Reason banner at the Jon Stewart rally on October 30.

The Washington DC campaign is also part of a national effort. Already this year there have been similar billboards and bus ads in Austin, Des Moines, Detroit, Louisville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Tucson, Sacramento, St. Louis, and Seattle. Last year there were United CoR-sponsored billboard, bus, and subway ads in 20 cities, including Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, Phoenix and San Diego.

"The point of our nationwide awareness campaign is to reach out to the millions of atheists, agnostics and humanists living in the United States," explained Fred Edwords, national director of the United Coalition of Reason. "Such individuals sometimes don't realize there's a community for them because they're flooded with traditional religious messages at every turn. So we hope this will serve as a beacon and let them know they aren't alone."

Reaching out to the like-minded isn't the only goal of the effort. "We also want the public to see that there are many humanists, agnostics and atheists living here as part of the community," added Shelley Mountjoy, coordinator of Washington CoR. "We're your friends, neighbors, coworkers and relatives. And like many people, we are leading quality lives: contributing to neighborhood and nation and living our values."

"Being visible is important for us," Edwords concluded, "because atheists and agnostics in our society often don't know many people of like mind. Furthermore, if traditionally religious people can be open about their views, why shouldn't we be open about ours?"