[Hac-announce] New event: Ig Nobels webcast, Thursday, October 1st at 7:00 PM.

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Tue Sep 29 16:22:35 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

(You're receiving this email because you subscribed to the announcements
list operated by the Humanist Association of Connecticut.  See
http://www.cthumanist.org/lists.html)

Sorry about the last minute notification, but we've only just confirmed
that a room was available at USNH for this event.

The Humanist Association of Connecticut, along with the Connecticut
Drinking Skeptically group, will be hosting a live webcast of Thursday
night's Ig Nobel ceremony.  This will be held in the library at USNH,
700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.  The official start time is 7:00 PM, but
there will likely be people there beforehand setting up the equipment.

"The Ig Nobel Prizes honor achievements that first make people laugh,
and then make them think. The prizes are intended to celebrate the
unusual, honor the imaginative -- and spur people's interest in science,
medicine, and technology.

In a gala ceremony in Harvard's Sanders Theatre, 1200 splendidly
eccentric spectators watch the winners step forward to accept their
Prizes. These are physically handed out by genuinely bemused genuine
Nobel Laureates."

The ceremony runs from 7:00 PM to about 9:00 PM.

This is the same webcast you can see by going to
http://improbable.com/ig/.  Hopefully it'll be a bit more fun watching
it as a group.  I'm told the event will also be featured on NPR's
Science Friday.

Regards,

     Richard Siddall
     webmaster at cthumanist.org