[Hac-announce] June 2023 Book Discussion: "Work" by James Suzman

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Wed May 24 15:42:22 EDT 2023

Our June 2023 book is Work: A Deep History, from the Stone Age to the Age of Robots by anthropologist James Suzman. The discussion will take place Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Library, 303 Washington Ave., New Haven. (Note the 4th Saturday of June rather than the 3rd.)
Please plan to attend the annual HAC Solstice Party after the discussion. (The Solstice Party is at USNH, 700 Hartford Turnpike in Hamden and begins at 4 pm.)

>From Amazon:
Work defines who we are. It determines our status, and dictates how, where, and with whom we spend most of our time. It mediates our self-worth and molds our values. But are we hard-wired to work as hard as we do? Did our Stone Age ancestors also live to work and work to live? And what might a world where work plays a far less important role look like?
Drawing insights from anthropology, archaeology, evolutionary biology, zoology, physics, and economics, [James Suzman] shows that while we have evolved to find joy, meaning and purpose in work, for most of human history our ancestors worked far less and thought very differently about work than we do now…[and he argues] that we are in the midst of a similarly transformative point in history…[where]…automation might revolutionize our relationship with work.
“An incisive and original new history that invites us to rethink our relationship with work – and to reimagine what it means to be human in an ever-more automated future.” – Susan Cain, author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking
Hope to see you at both events,
Kevin (& Paula)