[Hac-announce] Monday's dinner discussion

Carol Siddall carol at carolstone.com
Sat Sep 24 13:58:47 EDT 2022

On Monday we'll be discussing the Effective Altruism movement over
dinner at the Wood-n-Tap in Hamden (2100 Dixwell Ave) at 7:00 pm. If the
weather permits, we'll be outside on the patio!

This article (
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/15/the-reluctant-prophet-of-effective-altruism
) in the New Yorker magazine describes the development of the movement
and some criticisms of it. What are your thoughts after reading the
article?

If that article isn't long enough, here's another interview where he
talks at more length about some of his philosophy:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/08/why-effective-altruists-fear-the-ai-apocalypse.html

And here's an interesting critique:
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2022/09/defective-altruism/

Interestingly, GiveWell has launched a contest for critiques of their
cost-effectiveness analyses. The prize is $20,000.
https://www.givewell.org/research/change-our-mind-contest

I hope you can join us!
-Carol Siddall