[Hac-announce] You’re Cleaning All Wrong--A science-based guide for fellow germaphobes.--New York Times

Manny Sholem Ratafia manny at ratafias.com
Thu May 12 20:04:36 EDT 2022

I just learned from this article that I didn't understand how to
disinfect nearly as well as I thought. This is timely info, as many of
us are now interacting more with others and even inviting people into
our homes. It's good to be social, but safer is better.--Manny

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/well/clean-disinfect-home-germs.html?algo=clicks_decay_96&block=5&campaign_id=142&emc=edit_fory_20220512&fellback=true&imp_id=475920041&instance_id=61205&nl=for-you&nlid=46841805&pool=pool%2Ffa8f6616-7b25-42bd-bdbf-7abdec20107e&rank=1&regi_id=46841805&req_id=995087680&segment_id=92091&surface=for-you-email-rotating-health&user_id=4aa61a7a85f469ed918ee787f817ccb4&variant=0_best_algo

    Well

  You’re Cleaning All Wrong

A science-based guide for fellow germaphobes.

By Melinda Wenner Moyer <https://www.nytimes.com/by/melinda-wenner-moyer>

May 5, 2022

One of my first memories is the pungent smell of rubbing alcohol. Every
evening, my mother sprayed the kitchen sink and counters with isopropyl
alcohol to disinfect them. And no wonder: She’d cared for me for months
when I caught a nasty salmonella infection as a toddler. Bacteria were
her nemesis. “I became a real nut about it,” she admitted recently. “I
really became a germaphobe.”

It’s no surprise, then, that I grew up to be a germaphobe too. I keep a
dizzying array of antimicrobial wipes in the basement, have at least
seven bottles of hand sanitizer stashed around my house and car, and
keep an emergency bag tucked away in my closet stuffed with bleach wipes
and other strong disinfecting paraphernalia should the dreaded stomach
bug strike our household. (I should add: There’s a difference between
cleaning and tidying. I’m a zealot with the former, but lazy with the
latter.)

Today, because of the pandemic, I’m not alone in my germ paranoia. In a
2021 survey of 2,000 U.S. adults, 42 percent of respondents said they
now identified as germaphobes
<https://swns-research.medium.com/when-hand-washing-isnt-enough-the-covid-19-hygiene-habits-we-can-t-and-can-quit-d40313471c03>.
But our fears aren’t always well-founded, I learned this week when I
interviewed chemists and cleaning experts. It turns out, many popular
cleaning practices aren’t effective, and some are just unnecessary.

      *Focus on the bad bugs.*

I’m often guilty of thinking that viruses and bacteria are unequivocally
“bad,” but many bacteria do good things — like those in our gut that
help us digest food and build our immunity. “Microbes are absolutely
everywhere,” said Erica Hartmann, an environmental engineer at
Northwestern University. “And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.”
Research suggests
<http://fulltext.calis.edu.cn/nature/nri/10/12/nri2871.pdf> that
children who grow up on farms, surrounded by microbes, have a lower risk
of developing asthma and allergies than other kids.

Before getting into the nitty-gritty, let me explain the scientific
difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Cleaning removes things —
dirt, crumbs, germs, dog hair — from surfaces. Disinfecting, on the
other hand, /kills/ things — typically viruses and bacteria. Cleaning is
something we may want to do regularly, Dr. Hartmann said, but we need to
worry about killing (disinfecting) only dangerous, disease-causing
germs. And we can often predict where they’ll be.

For instance, you probably don’t need to disinfect your kitchen counters
every day, unless you’ve handled raw meat. You also don’t need to
obsessively disinfect your bathroom unless someone in your home has an
infection that spreads through stools, like salmonella or norovirus.

For standard messes — like when my 11-year-old drips maple syrup all
over the kitchen table at breakfast — you don’t need to reach for a
disinfectant wipe when soap and water will remove the sticky residue
just fine. (Soap is also great for removing germs from your hands, but
you need to build a good lather and wash for 20 seconds
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/world/how-to-wash-your-hands-coronavirus.html>.)

Why not disinfect everything anyway, you ask? There are long-term risks
associated with the overuse of certain disinfectants, such as quaternary
ammonium compounds. These “quats,” as they’re called, are found in many
popular household cleaning products, including sprays and wipes made by
Lysol and Clorox. These cleaners may increase the risk of antibiotic
resistance, Dr. Hartmann said. Plus — although experts I spoke to
disagreed on just how much to worry about this — disinfectants like
bleach, ammonia and quats release fumes that can be harmful, said Pawel
Misztal, a chemist who studies disinfectants at the University of Texas
at Austin. So use disinfectants when you need to disinfect, but not when
you want to just clean.

      *Choose and use disinfectants wisely.*

When you do have reason to worry about bad germs, heck yes, kill them
all with a disinfectant, but keep in mind that some chemicals will work
better than others. Plain soap and water can kill germs when lathered,
but it’s not going to be as foolproof as other, stronger options if
you’re trying to eliminate microbes on surfaces, said Bill Wuest, a
chemist at Emory University. Far more effective are disinfectants like
bleach, isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and
quat-based cleaners.

If you’re using a disinfectant that releases fumes, such as bleach or
ammonia, ventilate the area first by opening doors or windows, or wear a
disposable face mask and throw it away afterward, Dr. Misztal suggested.

And I hate to tell you, but you’re probably disinfecting all wrong. Many
people spray or spread disinfectants on a surface and then immediately
wipe the cleaner off with a paper towel or sponge, Dr. Wuest said, but
this removes the chemical before it has had a chance to disinfect.

If you’re using a store-bought product, the disinfection time should be
on the label. Lysol disinfectant spray, for instance, needs to sit on a
surface for three minutes
<https://www.lysol.com/products/disinfectant-spray/lysol-disinfectant-spray>.
Recommendations for bleach solutions vary between letting it sit for one
<https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/disinfecting-bleach.html> to
10 minutes
<https://www.northeastern.edu/ehs/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Bleach-Fact-Sheet-Draft.ejc2_.pdf>.
Alcohol-based solutions don’t need to be wiped at all, since they
eventually evaporate, said Cassandra Quave, an ethnobotanist at Emory
University. And some botanical disinfectants may need to be left on for
a long time, even 15 or 30 minutes, Dr. Hartmann said.

Wondering about other disinfectant options? Here’s some more information:

·You can make disinfectants at home to save money. For a disinfecting
bleach solution
<https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04/documents/316485-c_reopeningamerica_guidance_4.19_6pm.pdf>,
mix one-third cup of household bleach with one gallon of water. (Note
that bleach breaks down rapidly in water, so you’ll need to make a new
solution <https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20060213/bleach.html>
each day. And never mix bleach with chemicals other than water.)

·Sprays containing 70 percent ethanol or isopropyl alcohol and 30
percent water are also effective, Dr. Quave said. She emphasized that
you should mix alcohol with water because otherwise it will evaporate
before it has a chance to disinfect.

·You can also make or buy plant-based disinfectants, some of which are
less toxic and more environmentally friendly than conventional options.
But note that botanical disinfectants may not work as quickly or
thoroughly as bleach, quats or alcohol. Household vinegar, for instance,
is a popular botanical disinfectant, but it’s not nearly as effective at
killing germs as bleach or alcohol. One study found, for instance, that
SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, was not inactivated
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9026400/> even after
soaking in a potent vinegar solution for five minutes. The Environmental
Protection Agency maintains a list of disinfectants
<https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-labels/dfe-certified-disinfectants> that
meet certain environmental and health safety standards.

·If you want to know which disinfectants are effective against which
pathogens, check out this E.P.A. webpage
<https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/selected-epa-registered-disinfectants>.
Note, for instance, that norovirus, which causes stomach bugs, is an
especially hardy virus, and that bleach solutions are most effective
against them, Dr. Hartmann said.

The bottom line: We germaphobes can still delight in killing germs, but
perhaps not /all/ of them. When I need to clean a spill, I’ll use soap
and water or a gentle cleaning spray, not a disinfectant. But after
handling raw meat, or when a family member is ill, I’ll reach for the
stronger stuff to clean contaminated surfaces, and I’ll make sure to let
it sit long enough to work, with the windows open. And while I wait,
maybe I’ll have the chance to tidy my house, too.

Yeah, right.

--
"Fight for the things that you care about, but do it
in a way that will lead others to join you."