[Hac-announce] January 2023 Book Discussion: "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" by Thornton Wilder

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 17:46:37 EST 2022

Our January 2023 book is The Bridge of San Luis Rey by author/playwright (and Hamden resident) Thornton Wilder. The discussion will take place Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 2:30 pm at the Wilson Branch of the New Haven Free Library, 303 Washington Ave., New Haven.
>From Amazon:
"On Friday noon, July the twentieth, 1714, the finest bridge in all Peru broke and precipitated five travelers into the gulf below."
Brother Juniper, a Franciscan monk, witnesses the tragic event. Deeply moved, he embarks on a quest to prove that it was divine intervention, not chance, that led to the deaths of the five people crossing the bridge that day. Ultimately, his search leads to a timeless investigation into the nature of fate and love, and the meaning of the human condition.
"As close to perfect a moral fable as we are ever likely to get in American literature." – Russell Banks
Attached is a recent article from Free Inquiry that uses the book for an interesting discussion of the concepts of purpose and agency in the world.
Hope to see you there,
Kevin (& Paula)