[Hac-announce] May 2022 Book Discussion: "She Has Her Mother's Laugh" by Carl Zimmer

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Sat Apr 30 11:13:38 EDT 2022

Our May 2022 book is She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity by science journalist Carl Zimmer. The discussion will take place Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 2:30 pm at the Unitarian Society of New Haven, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden. Note: This will be an in-person meeting only; we will no longer be holding a 'hybrid' meeting via Zoom. (USNH COVID policy can be found at the HAC Meetup.)

>From Amazon:
Celebrated New York Times columnist and science writer Carl Zimmer presents a profoundly original perspective on what we pass along from generation to generation…Heredity isn’t just about genes that pass from parent to child. Heredity continues within our own bodies, as a single cell gives rise to trillions of cells that make up our bodies. We say we inherit genes from our ancestors…but we inherit other things that matter as much or more to our lives, from microbes to technologies we use to make life more comfortable. We need a new definition of what heredity is and, through Carl Zimmer’s lucid exposition and storytelling, this resounding tour de force delivers it.
Weaving historical and current scientific research, his own experience with his two daughters, and the kind of original reporting expected of one of the world’s best science journalists, Zimmer ultimately unpacks urgent bioethical quandaries arising from new biomedical technologies, but also long-standing presumptions about who we really are and what we can pass on to future generations.
"Magisterial...In Zimmer’s pages, we discover a world minutely threaded with myriad streams of heredity flowing in all directions, in variegated patterns and different registers.” – The Atlantic
Kevin (& Paula)