[Hac-announce] August 2021 Book Discussion: "Free Thinker: Sex, Suffrage, and the Extraordinary Life of Helen Hamilton Gardener" by Kimberly A. Hamlin

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 09:46:21 EDT 2021

Our book for August is Free Thinker: Sex, Suffrage, and the Extraordinary Life of Helen Hamilton Gardener by historian Kimberly A. Hamlin. The discussion will take place Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 2:30 pm. Our meetings have returned to USNH, at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden. (Depending on the weather, we may be outside.)

>From Amazon:
When Ohio newspapers published the story of Alice Chenoweth’s affair with a married man, she changed her name to Helen Hamilton Gardener, moved to New York, and devoted her life to championing women’s rights and decrying the sexual double standard. She published seven books and countless essays, hobnobbed with the most interesting thinkers of her era, and was celebrated for her audacious ideas and keen wit. Opposed to piety, temperance, and conventional thinking, Gardener eventually settled in Washington, D.C., where her tireless work proved, according to her colleague Maud Wood Park, "the most potent factor" in the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment.
"Free Thinker is as vivid and arresting as its subject. And Helen Hamilton Gardener’s insistent argument, that American women were ‘self-respecting, self-directing human units with brains and bodies sacredly their own,’ still feels as urgent and as radical as it did a century ago." – Jane Kamensky, Harvard University
We look forward to seeing you in person again as we begin to 'return to normal.'

Kevin (& Paula)