[Hac-announce] Humanist Conversations - Saturday, July 10, 2 PM - Kind Hearts and Coronets

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Thu Jul 8 21:25:26 EDT 2021

Hello everyone,

For our July Humanist Explorations we will return to in-person meetings
led by Steve and Susan Boshi.

Note the earlier start time of 2 PM.

We will meet in the Social Hall of USNH over the summer. This allows
plenty of space for social distancing.

Steve says: "As we emerge into the light after the last year of darkness
and seclusion and begin to interact with one another without the
impersonality of a computer screen, a good dose of humor should be at
the top of the list. For our first program, this film from 1949 tells
the fiendish tale of Louis Mazzini, born to an Italian father and an
aristocratic English mother whose family disowns her. As a consequence
Louis is deprived of his birthright to succeed to a dukedom. He then
contrives to regain his status by eliminating the eight members of the
D'Ascoyne family who stand in his way. Deliciously portrayed by Dennis
Price, he deals with the family members, all played by Alec Guinness,
with grace and cunning. Arguably, this is the crown jewel of The Ealing
Studios films, and will keep you in suspense and laughter from start to
finish."

There will be no refreshments provided this month.