[Hac-announce] Happy Birthday Charles Darwin!

Gayle Walter gaylecwalter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 21:03:32 EST 2021

Today is International Darwin Day - a celebration of science, scientific inquiry and scientific achievement held on or around Charles’s birthday.

HAC is one of the co-sponsors of the first online CT Darwin Day Celebration, to take place next Friday, February 19. Those of us on the event Planning Committee are  amazed at the response we have received so far - 19 organizations have joined as co-sponsors and over 300 individuals have already registered!
We can handle up to 500 participants!

Our 2021 Keynote Speaker is Internationally acclaimed artist, naturalist and conservationist James Prosek.

Art and Science – intrinsically connected.   When we look at the caves of Lascaux, are we experiencing an aesthetic appreciation of the natural world or something more deeply rooted in cognition? What is communicated in the reproduction of the natural world? These are some of the ideas and questions James Prosek will address.

Please Join us, show your support for Science, hear James Prosek, and enjoy our annual Science Quiz.
The event is free and open to all!
Register at bit.ly/DarwinDay2021  to get the Zoom link.

In addition:
Scientific inquiry and Research must be supported if we are to solve the problems facing humanity, the natural world and our planet.  Where would we be today without our research scientists and their tireless efforts to develop vaccines?
Toward this end, the 2021 Darwin Day Celebration Committee asks you to consider making a donation to the Union of Concerned Scientists, a national nonprofit of 250 scientists, analysts, policy and communication experts who support the “use of rigorous, independent science to solve our planet's most pressing problems.” Go to https://secure.ucsusa.org/a/2021-darwin-day-event
First individual donations of $50, $75 and $120 will be matched by anonymous donors.
Hope to see you next Friday! 7pm via Zoom

Gayle Walter
51 Linden Street
New Haven, CT 06511-2526
203-640-3694