[Hac-announce] January 2022 Book Discussion: "Evil Geniuses" by Kurt Andersen

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 19:04:35 EST 2021

Our book for January 2022 is Evil Geniuses: The Unmaking of America: A Recent History by Kurt Andersen. The discussion will take place Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:30 pm at the Unitarian Society of New Haven, 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden. This will be a 'hybrid' meeting so participants will be able to join this discussion via Zoom if they cannot attend in person. (Details on Meetup.)
>From Amazon:
During the twentieth century, America managed to make its economic and social systems both more and more fair and more and more prosperous. A huge, secure, and contented middle class emerged. All boats rose together. But then the New Deal gave way to the Raw Deal. Beginning in the early 1970s, by means of a long war conceived of and executed by a confederacy of big business CEOs, the superrich, and right-wing zealots, the rules and norms that made the American middle class possible were undermined and dismantled. The clock was turned back on a century of economic progress, making greed good, workers powerless, and the market all-powerful while weaponizing nostalgia, lifting up an oligarchy that served only its own interests, and leaving the huge majority of Americans with dwindling economic prospects and hope.
Why and how did America take such a wrong turn? In [Evil Geniuses] Kurt Andersen offers a fresh, provocative, and eye-opening history of America’s undoing…
“This is the one book everyone must read as we figure out how to rebuild our country. With lucid writing and head-snapping insights, Kurt Andersen explores how a confederacy of the right and big business, with unabashed greed, deliberately reengineered our economy. To fix that will require understanding the roots of the problem. A triumph.” – Walter Isaacson, author of Benjamin Franklin, Einstein, and Leonardo da Vinci

Kevin (& Paula)