[Hac-announce] July 2020 Book Discussion: "Natural Causes" by Barbara Ehrenreich (Location TBD)

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 12:01:54 EDT 2020

Our book for July is Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying, and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer by Barbara Ehrenreich. The discussion will take place Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 2:30 pm.
Note: We are working to determine if there is a suitable outdoor location with sufficient social distancing where we can hold the discussion. If not, or in the case of inclement weather, the discussion will be held via the Zoom Platform (see below).

>From Amazon:
A razor-sharp polemic which offers an entirely new understanding of ourbodies, ourselves, and our place in the universe, Natural Causesdescribes how we over-prepare and worry way too much about what is inevitable.One by one, Ehrenreich topples the shibboleths that guide our attempts to livea long, healthy life -- from the importance of preventive medical screenings tothe concepts of wellness and mindfulness, from dietary fads to fitness culture…Bothfunny and caustic, [the author] tackles the seemingly unsolvable problem of howwe might better prepare ourselves for the end -- while still reveling in thelives that remain to us.
"Ehrenreich'ssharp and fearless take on mortality privileges joy over juice fasts and arguesthat, regardless of how many hours we spend in the gym, death wins out. Anincisive, clear-eyed polemic, NaturalCauses relaxes into the realization that the grim reaper is considerablyless grim than a life spent in terror of a fate that awaits us all." – Matthew Desmond, Pulitzer Prize-winning authorof Evicted
If the book discussion is a virtual event using the Zoom platform:

1) If you have signed up for the discussion on Meetup, you have access to the Zoom link for the meeting.
2) If you are not a 'regular' attendee and have not signed up for the discussion on Meetup but plan on attending, please send us an e-mail (kvngough at aol.com) and we will send you an invitation to the meeting.
Here is a link to a short video that discusses how to join a Zoom meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-?zcid=1588
Hope you and your family are safe and well,

Kevin & Paula