[Hac-announce] August 2020 Book Discussion: "Elmer Gantry" by Sinclair Lewis (Location TBD)

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 11:11:34 EDT 2020

Our book for August is Elmer Gantry by Nobel Prize-winning author Sinclair Lewis. The discussion will take place Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 2:30 pm.
Note: We are working to determine if there is a suitable outdoor location with sufficient social distancing where we can hold the discussion. If not, or in the case of inclement weather, the discussion will be held via the Zoom Platform (see below).

>From Amazon:
Universally recognized as alandmark in American literature, Elmer Gantry scandalized readers when it wasfirst published, causing Sinclair Lewis to be “invited” to a jail cell in New Hampshire and to his own lynching in Virginia. His portraitof a golden-tongued evangelist who rises to power within his church—a saver ofsouls who lives a life of duplicity, sensuality, and ruthlessself-indulgence—is also the record of a period, a reign of grotesque vulgarity,which but for Lewis would have left no trace of itself. Elmer Gantry has beencalled the greatest, most vital, and most penetrating study of hypocrisy thathas been written since the works of Voltaire.

 “[Sinclair Lewis’s] satiric indictment offundamentalist religion that caused an uproar upon its publication in 1927. Thetitle character of Elmer Gantry starts out as a greedy, shallow, philanderingBaptist minister, turns to evangelism, and eventually becomes the leader of a largeMethodist congregation. Throughout the novel Gantry encounters fellow religioushypocrites [and although] he is often exposed as a fraud, Gantry is never fullydiscredited. – The Merriam-WebsterEncyclopedia of Literature
If the book discussion is a virtual event using the Zoom platform:
1) If you have signed up for the discussion on Meetup, you have access to the Zoom link for the meeting.
2) If you are not a 'regular' attendee and have not signed up for the discussion on Meetup but plan on attending, please send us an e-mail (kvngough at aol.com) and we will send you an invitation to the meeting.
Here is a link to a short video that discusses how to join a Zoom meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-?zcid=1588
Hope you and your family are safe and well,

Kevin & Paula