[Hac-announce] Reminder - ONLINE Book Discussion: "Natural Causes" by Barbara Ehrenreich - Saturday, July 18, 2:30 PM

Carol Ritter critter80 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:54:07 EDT 2020

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4120669052?pwd=S1VQTzFxMERJd2ZoRjBKL2NUZGladz09<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4120669052?pwd%3DS1VQTzFxMERJd2ZoRjBKL2NUZGladz09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3KxUBQPjKSlGiAnjA2xrTE>

Meeting ID: 412 066 9052
Password: 151600

Our book for July is "Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying, and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

>From Amazon:
A razor-sharp polemic which offers an entirely new understanding of our bodies, ourselves, and our place in the universe, Natural Causes describes how we over-prepare and worry way too much about what is inevitable. One by one, Ehrenreich topples the shibboleths that guide our attempts to live a long, healthy life -- from the importance of preventive medical screenings to the concepts of wellness and mindfulness, from dietary fads to fitness culture… Both funny and caustic, [the author] tackles the seemingly unsolvable problem of how we might better prepare ourselves for the end -- while still reveling in the lives that remain to us.

"Ehrenreich's sharp and fearless take on mortality privileges joy over juice fasts and argues that, regardless of how many hours we spend in the gym, death wins out. An incisive, clear-eyed polemic, Natural Causes relaxes into the realization that the grim reaper is considerably less grim than a life spent in terror of a fate that awaits us all."
– Matthew Desmond, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "Evicted"