[Hac-announce] January 2021 Book Discussion: "The Shallows" by Nicholas Carr

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 12:54:37 EST 2020

Our book for January is The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. The discussion will take place Saturday, Jan. 16, 2021 at 2:30 pm via Zoom.
>From Amazon:
In this ground-breaking andcompelling book, Nicholas Carr argues that not since Gutenberg inventedprinting has humanity been exposed to such a mind-altering technology. The Shallows draws on the latestresearch to show that the Net is literally re-wiring our brains inducing onlysuperficial understanding. As a consequence there are profound changes in theway we live and communicate, remember and socialize - even in our veryconception of ourselves. By moving from the depths of thought to the shallowsof distraction, the web, it seems, is actually fostering ignorance. The Shallows is not a manifesto forluddites, nor does it seek to turn back the clock. Rather it is a revelatoryreminder of how far the Internet has become enmeshed in our daily existence andis affecting the way we think.*

 “Silent Spring for the literary mind.” – Slate

The book discussion is a virtual event using the Zoom platform:
1) If you have signed up for the discussion on Meetup, you have access to the Zoom link for the meeting.
2) If you are not a 'regular' attendee and have not signed up for the discussion on Meetup but plan on attending, please send us an e-mail (kvngough at aol.com) and we will send you an invitation to the meeting.
Here is a link to a short video that discusses how to join a Zoom meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting-?zcid=1588
Hope you and your family are safe and well,
Kevin (& Paula)