[Hac-announce] July 2019 Book Discussion: "Before You Know It" by John Bargh

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Fri Jun 28 19:13:19 EDT 2019

Our book for July is Before You Know It: The Unconscious Reasons We Do What We Do byYale professor of psychology John Bargh.The discussion will take place Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 2:30 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.  From Amazon:
Dr. John Bargh, the world’s leading expert on the unconsciousmind, presents a groundbreaking book, twenty years in the making, which givesus an entirely new understanding of the hidden mental processes that secretlygovern every aspect of our behavior.

Dr. Bargh takes the reader into his labs at New York Universityand Yale where he and his colleagues have discovered how the unconscious guidesour behavior, goals, and motivations in areas like race relations, parenting,business, consumer behavior, and addiction. He reveals what science now knowsabout the pervasive influence of the unconscious mind in who we choose to dateor vote for, what we buy, where we live, how we perform on tests and in jobinterviews, and much more.

"About the eye-opening extent to which our actions aredictated by forces within us to which we are almost entirely oblivious." –The Guardian
Light snacks will be served.