[Hac-announce] November 2018 Book Discussion: "The Wizard and the Prophet" by Charles C. Mann

Paula Jones or Kevin Gough kvngough at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 10:38:08 EDT 2018

Our book for November is The Wizard and the Prophet: Two Remarkable Scientists and Their Dueling Visions to Shape Tomorrow's World by journalist Charles C. Mann. The discussion will take place Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 2 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.
>From Amazon:
>From the best-selling, award-winning author of 1491 and1493 [which was one of our selections in 2012]: an incisiveportrait of the two little-known twentieth-century scientists, Norman Borlaugand William Vogt, whose diametrically opposed views shaped our ideas about theenvironment, laying the groundwork for how people in the twenty-first centurywill choose to live in tomorrow's world.

“Without taking sides, Mann delivers a fine examination of two possible pathsto a livable future.” — Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)

“An insightful, highly significant account that makes no predictions but laysout the critical environmental problems already upon us.” — Kirkus (starredreview)

Light snacks will be served.