[Hac-announce] October 2018 Book Discussion: "Brother, I'm Dying" by Edwidge Danticat

Paula Jones or Kevin Gough kvngough at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 16:20:25 EDT 2018

Our book for October is Brother, I'm Dying by author and McArthur Fellow Edwidge Danticat. The discussion will take place Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 2 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

Fromthe age of four, award-winning writer Edwidge Danticat came to think of heruncle Joseph as her “second father,” when she was placed in his care after herparents left Haiti for America. And soshe was both elated and saddened when, at twelve, she joined her parents andyoungest brothers in New York City.As Edwidge made a life in a new country…she and her family continued to fearfor the safety of those still in Haiti as the political situation deteriorated…In2004, they entered into a terrifying tale of good people caught up in eventsbeyond their control. Brother, I'm Dying is an astonishing true-lifeepic, told on an intimate scale by one of our finest writers.

“Powerful. . . . Danticatemploys the charms of a storyteller and the authority of a witness to evoke thepolitical forces and personal sacrifices behind her parents' journey to thiscountry and her uncle's decision to stay behind.” – The Washington Post Book World

Light snacks will be served.