[Hac-announce] September 2018 Book Discussion: "Fantasyland" by Kurt Anderson

Paula Jones or Kevin Gough kvngough at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 10:48:07 EDT 2018

Our book for September is Fantasyland: How America went Haywire: a 500-Year History by journalist Kurt Anderson. The discussion will take place Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 2 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

>From Amazon:

Inthis sweeping, eloquent history of America, Kurt Andersen shows that what’shappening in our country today—this post-factual, “fake news” moment we’re allliving through—is not something new, but rather the ultimate expression of ournational character. Americawas founded by wishful dreamers, magical thinkers, and true believers, byhucksters and their suckers. Fantasy is deeply embedded in our DNA.

“A frighteningly convincingand sometimes uproarious picture of a country in steep, perhaps terminaldecline that would have the founding fathers weeping into their beards.” – The Guardian

Light snacks will be served.