[Hac-announce] February 2017 Book Discussion: "The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart " by Bill Bishop

kvngough at aol.com kvngough at aol.com
Sun Jan 22 19:07:55 EST 2017

Our book for February is The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart by journalist Bill Bishop, a timely topic after the recent national election. (Mr. Bishop was a reporter for the Austin American-Statesman when he began research on city growth and political polarization with the sociologist and statistician Robert Cushing.) The discussion will take place Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 2 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

>From Amazon:
In 2004, journalist Bill Bishop coined the term "the big sort." Armed with startling new demographic data, he made national news in a series of articles showing how Americans have been sorting themselves into alarmingly homogeneous communities -- not by region or by state, but by city and even neighborhood. Over the past three decades, we have been choosing the neighborhood (and church and news show) compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. The result is a country that has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred that people don't know and can't understand those who live a few miles away. How this came to be, and its dire implications for our country, is the subject of this ground-breaking work.

 "Jam-packed with fascinating data, The Big Sort presents a provocative portrait of the splintering of America." – Boston Globe

 "[A] rich and challenging book about the ways in which the citizens of this country have, in the past generation, rearranged themselves into discrete enclaves that have little to say to one another and little incentive to bother trying." – The Wall Street Journal

Refreshments will be served.

(Note: We're in the snow time of year. Snow Date for the discussion is Saturday, February 25.)