[Hac-announce] Hurricane Matthew - Message From The American Red Cross

Rebecca Williams rebecca.humanist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:59:17 EDT 2016

*From:* Scharr, Patricia [mailto:Patricia.Scharr at redcross.org]
*Sent:* Friday, October 07, 2016 11:43 AM
*Subject:* FW: Red Cross Disaster Update -- Hurricane Matthew
*Importance:* High

[image: Description: Description: cid:image008.png at 01CCD9F2.66AAE2D0]

*                                Strategic Partnerships, Northeast
Division  *

*                                                            October 7,
2016*

*I received this at work and am passing along just in case...  Rebecca W.*

*Disaster Update**: Hurricane Matthew*

Dear Colleagues:

Good morning.  Here is a topline update and a very compelling video on
Hurricane Matthew for sharing with your organizations, constituencies and
friends and family..  We will share further details later today on Matthew
in the U.S. and the Caribbean.

·         Last night, 27,135 people stayed in 158 Red Cross shelters and
evacuation centers in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

·         We have 1,800 Red Cross workers (mostly volunteers) either in
theater or en route as of last night.  More will deploy today.

·         Florida utilities are reporting more than 370,000 people without
power across the state with the greatest number of outages in Palm Beach,
Broward, and Miami-Dade counties.

·         Storm surges in excess of 7 feet are moving further up the coast
of Florida and will soon affect Georgia and South Carolina.

·         According to the National Weather Service, some of the lowest
barrier islands will be completely overtopped with large battering waves
and life-threatening flooding. Barrier islands are likely to be breached
and it is extremely possible that new inlets will be cut off in the worst
affected areas.

If you have friends family or colleagues in the affected area, Please
download our free Emergency App <http://www.redcross.org/apps> for weather
alerts for your area and where loved ones live.

Finally, if you’ve ever wanted to know what life is like in a shelter,
watch this compelling video of Scott Pelley from the CBS Evening News.
This is real.  This is why we’re there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/final-preps-for-hurricane-along-fla-coast/

*Patricia M. Scharr*

Sr. Director Resource Development