[Hac-announce] February 2016 Book Discussion: "My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel" by Ari Shavit

Kevin Gough or Paula Jones kvngough at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 14:55:00 EST 2016

Our book for February is My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel by Israeli journalist Ari Shavit. The discussion will take place Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 2:30 pm (not the usual 2 pm) in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

>From the back flap:

As it examines the complexities and contradictions of the Israeli condition, My Promised Land asks difficult but important questions: Why did Israel come to be? How did it come to be? Can Israel survive? Culminating with an analysis of the issues and threats that Israel is currently facing, My Promised Land uses the defining events of the past to shed new light on the present. The result is a landmark portrait of a small, vibrant country living on the edge, whose identity and presence play a crucial role in today’s global political landscape.

“This book will sweep you up in its narrative force and not let go of you until it is done. [Shavit’s] accomplishment is so unlikely, so total . . . that it makes you believe anything is possible, even, God help us, peace in the Middle East.” — Simon Schama, Financial Times

The book made the New York Times list of 100 Notable Books for 2013.

As we are in winter, snow date for this discussion is Saturday, February 27. Watch for announcements if there is inclement weather on or near the discussion date.

Both books are readily available in numerous libraries around the state.

Refreshments will be served.