[Hac-announce] July Book Discussion: Rebecca Newberger Goldstein's "36 Arguments for the Existence of God: a Work of Fiction"

Kevin Gough or Paula Jones kvngough at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 14:26:12 EDT 2015

Our book for July is 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: a Work of Fiction by noted philosopher and Freethinker Rebecca Newberger Goldstein. The discussion will take place Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 2 pm in the library of the Unitarian Society of New Haven at 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden.

>From the (MacArthur) prize-wining author of books on Spinoza, Gödel, and Plato comes a novel debating faith and reason in a style reminiscent of Phillip Roth and Saul Bellow.

Per the jacket:
At the [novel's] center is Cass Seltzer, a professor of psychology whose book, The Varieties of Religious Illusion, has become a surprise best seller. Dubbed “the atheist with a soul,” he wins over the stunning Lucinda Mandelbaum—“the goddess of game theory.” But he is haunted by reminders of two people who ignited his passion to understand religion: his teacher Jonas Elijah Klapper, a renowned literary scholar with a suspicious obsession with messianism, and an angelic six-year-old mathematical genius, heir to the leadership of an exotic Hasidic sect.

Hilarious, heartbreaking, and intellectually captivating, 36 Arguments explores the rapture and torments of religious experience in all its variety.

"36 Arguments proves that you can be both smart and funny, that Albert Einstein and Albert Brooks have more in common than their first names...The payoff is sublime." - Chicago Tribune

The book is readily available in numerous libraries around the state.

Refreshments will be served.