[Hac-announce] Fwd: Support the Darwin Day Resolution: Contact Your Representative Now!

Williams Family rebeccaandmatthewwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:45:01 EST 2015

It took about a minute for me to call my congresswoman, Esty, and ask her
to support this.  I encourage you to do the same.

<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.americanhumanist.org%2f&srcid=42328&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2faction.americanhumanist.org%2fp%2fdia%2faction%2fpublic%2f%3faction_KEY%3d17030&srcid=42328&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>

Dear Friend,

We did it! Thanks to the hard work of the American Humanist Association’s
legislative team, H. Res. 67, the Darwin Day Resolution, has been
introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives for the fourth time since
2011. This year, we proudly worked with Representative Jim Himes (D-CT) to
introduce the resolution, which:

   - States that evolution “provides humanity with a logical and
   intellectually compelling explanation for the diversity of life on Earth”

   - Demands that the “advancement of science be protected from those
   unconcerned with the adverse impacts of global warming and climate change”

   - Confirms that the “teaching of creationism in some public schools
   compromises the scientific and academic integrity of the United States’
   education systems”

This is a great achievement, as the AHA remains the only nontheistic
organization to have legislation introduced in Congress. The Darwin Day
Resolution is especially important because it demonstrates our Congress’
commitment to promoting critical thinking and scientific literacy.

We’ve been hard at work getting co-sponsors for this resolution, but we
need your help for the resolution to receive bipartisan support and pass
Congress. As humanists, let’s demonstrate our support for science education
and scientific research.

*Show Congress that voters care about science by contacting your
Representative today and asking her or him to co-sponsor the Darwin Day
resolution.*
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2faction.americanhumanist.org%2fp%2fdia%2faction%2fpublic%2f%3faction_KEY%3d17030&srcid=42328&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>

In the meantime, I hope you will visit our new Darwin Day website
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fdarwinday.org%2f&srcid=42328&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>
to learn more about the Darwin Day resolution and participate in a Darwin
Day celebration in your community.

Thank you for standing up for evolution!

Sincerely,

[image: Roy Speckhardt, AHA Executive Director]

[image: Roy Speckhardt, Executive Director]

*Roy Speckhardt*
Executive Director

The American Humanist Association
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.americanhumanist.org%2f&srcid=42328&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>

1777 T Street NW, Washington DC, 20009 | 800.837.3792
If you no longer wish to receive e-mails from us, click here to unsubscribe
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.aspx?pid=205&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>
Privacy Policy
<http://secure.americanhumanist.org/page.aspx?pid=193&srctid=1&erid=9956006&trid=c4192ada-68b7-499c-9102-6732b7c574b7>
 [image: American Humanist Association]