[Hac-announce] December HAC Book Discussion on Dec. 20 - "Ecotopia" by Ernest Callenbach

Kevin Gough or Paula Jones kvngough at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 17:29:52 EST 2014

For our December book we'll be reading Ernest Callenbach's classic political fiction "Ecotopia."

The novel was rejected by many publishers before being released in 1975 and ultimately becoming an underground classic and manifesto of the burgeoning environmental movement. "Ecotopia" tells the story of a not-to-distant future where the Pacific northwest has successfully seceded from an environmentally collapsing United States. William Weston, a reporter at a major newspaper in the U.S., is assigned to visit Ecotopia and report on conditions in the now-unknown region. What he discovers - in Ecotopia and himself - provides the narrative thread of the book. Although praised as an ecologically sustainable vision of living, Humanists will also have much to ponder. Is this a lifestyle that Humanists can and should embrace?

Per Fritjof Capra in a review of the book: "Callenbach gives us a vivid, comprehensive, positive vision of an ecologically sustainable world. Essential reading for all who care about the earth's future."

Also, check out this final statement from Callenbach: http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175538/

The discussion will be 2-4 pm Saturday, Dec. 20, at USNH (700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden).

Refreshments will be served