[Hac-announce] Vote Yes

Halina Platt Connecticut at commoncause.org
Sat Nov 1 12:26:34 EDT 2014

I think this is an important question on Tuesday's ballot.
Halina

Dear Common Cause supporter,

We are leading the way in an effort to pass the State Constitutional Amendment on the ballot on Nov. 4 - but this is the Land of Steady Habits, and many people are unaware of the proposal, or how important it is to extending democracy in our state.

We appreciate all your assistance to get the word out to friends, family and your community.
Take a look at www.voteyesct.org  to learn more.  http://act-ct.commoncause.org/site/R?i=PkBnTiNxzPc9X_gWrIf8pA

Connecticut has among the most restrictive laws in the nation, because of a decades-old provision in the constitution that prevents the state legislature from even considering Early Voting.  The State Constitutional Amendment will remove the restrictions, and allow Connecticut to consider a better voting process aimed at increasing voter turnout and strengthening our democracy.

More than two-thirds of the states already use Early Voting or provide absentee ballots to eligible voters who request them.  Greater opportunity to vote makes it more likely that busy commuters, single parents, students, individuals with unpredictable work schedules and the elderly will be able to vote.

Efforts are underway across the state to get the word out about Ballot Question 1- supporters are handing out material to commuters, public forums are being held, emails are being sent and links are being added to the websites of a broad group of partnering organizations.

To date, the Vote Yes effort has been endorsed by the League of Women Voters, the Hartford Courant, Connecticut Post, Danbury News-Times and Meriden Record Journal.  It has been approved twice by the state legislature, so now it is the voters turn.

Your support is critical, please tell your friends and neighbors how important it is that they remember Question 1 on Election Day, and vote YES!

Thanks,

Cheri Quickmire, Executive Director and the rest of the team at Common Cause in Connecticut

CommonCause.org
http://act-ct.commoncause.org/site/R?i=Sy5qxbBSWda-OqtoEkPktQ

Subscribe
http://act-ct.commoncause.org/site/R?i=y-0UhtHmXzK97w4c--uBbQ