[Hac-announce] Compassion & Choices Bill Hearing is Today

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:50:19 EDT 2014

Last year, the Connecticut legislature very nearly passed a bill that would
permit a physician to prescribe a lethal dose to a mentally competent,
terminally ill patient who suffers from tremendous pain.  The bill has been
reintroduced in this session, as *HB 5326:  AN ACT CONCERNING COMPASSIONATE
AID IN DYING FOR TERMINALLY ILL PATIENTS*

The public hearing on HB 5326 is today. I have submitted written testimony
in support of the bill on behalf of the CT Coalition of Reason (of which
the Humanist Association of Connecticut is a member).   Doug Peary will
also be testifying in support of the bill; Doug has long been a passionate
advocate for this cause.  The secular community has recognized that
compassionate aid in dying is a basic human rights issue.  Virtually all of
the opposition to the bill is based upon an antiquated, biblically-based
world view. People are forced to suffer because many believe that it would
be a sin to provide a choice to those who are in pain and who have no hope
for recovery.

The written testimony that the CT COR submitted in support of 5326 was more
diplomatic, but that is the nature of our opposition. The Archbishop of
Hartford has sent a letter urging the 700,000 Catholics in the archdiocese
to contact their legislators to oppose the bill.  Many of them will.  That
is why it is so important that the humanists and secular communities speak
out on this issue. Human rights should not be denied because of religious
beliefs.

Please contact your state representative and your state senator and let
them know that you SUPPORT House Bill 5326. We should recognize that
mentally competent individuals with a terminal illness should have the
choice, in consultation with their doctor, to end their suffering. Such a
choice is a basic human right. You can find your representatives' contact
information here:   http://cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp

Please do it NOW. Please spread the word.

Thank you

Dan Blinn