[Hac-announce] Press Release: Religion In CT – How We Got To Where We Are - May 12

Cary S Shaw caryshaw at optonline.net
Tue Apr 29 17:08:22 EDT 2014

Humanists and Freethinkers of Fairfield County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RELIGION IN CONNECTICUT:  HOW WE GOT TO WHERE WE ARE

Connecticut’s Religiously Intolerant History will be the subject of a presentation at the Humanists and Freethinkers of Fairfield County (HFFC) on Monday evening May 12 at 6:30 pm at the Silver Star Diner in Norwalk.

For the first two centuries of its existence, Connecticut had an established religion – Congregationalism.  Brandon T. Bisceglia will explain how church-state entanglements hurt religious and nonreligious people alike, as well as how Connecticut slowly shed those establishment ties, culminating with the Constitution of 1818.

Bisceglia is a science writer at the Hartford Skepticism Examiner for the news site Examiner.com. He's also Communications Coordinator at HFFC.

 “It’s great to have dialogue with thoughtful, knowledgeable and interesting group of people,” said Jason Cutler of Wilton about the group.

The Silver Star Diner is located at 210 Connecticut Ave. in Norwalk, just off I-95 Exit 14. Food and drink can be purchased directly from the diner. Attendance is open to first-timers at no charge, and free to all with membership of $15 for the year.

The HFFC meets on the second Monday of each month. Its members combine reason with compassion, integrating modern understanding of the world with an affirmative life view. For more information, visit http://www.meetup.com/Humanists-and-Freethinkers-of-Fairfield-County-HFFC/, or contact Leslie at imhereinct at optonline.net or Brandon at brandontbisceglia at yahoo.com.

By joining the group and its online Meetup page, you get automatic updates about coming events, access to the group’s calendar, and easy-to-use tools to keep in touch with other members.

            X         X         X