[Hac-announce] Book Discussion: The Life You Can Save

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 21:10:27 EDT 2013

The Book Discussion Group has selected  "The Life You Can Save: Acting Now
To End World Poverty"<http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-You-Can-Save/dp/0812981561>by
Professor of Bioethics Peter Singer.  For the first time in history,
eradicating world poverty is within our reach. Yet around the world, a
billion people struggle to live each day on less than many of us pay for
bottled water. In "The Life You Can Save",  Singer uses ethical arguments,
illuminating examples, and case studies of charitable giving to argue that
our current response to world poverty is not only insufficient but morally
indefensible. Singer urges readers to be a part of the solution, helping
others as we help ourselves. This is a very short book, and it is widely
available in public libraries.  We will meet to discuss it on Saturday,
August 27 at 3:00 pm at USNH. Refreshments will be served.

Another option that we considered and may read at a future date is Alain De
Botton's "Religion for
Atheists<http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Atheists-Non-believers-Guide-Vintage/dp/0307476820/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374973565&sr=1-1&keywords=religion+for+atheists>".
 De Botton gave a TED Talk about the book, and some at this afternoon's
discussion reques  d that we send out a link. Here it
is.<http://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_atheism_2_0.html>