[Hac-announce] Special event for tomorrow, Fruiday 19

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Thu Jul 18 12:18:30 EDT 2013

If you're not already on the mailing list for the Cassini project imaging
Saturn at close range, you might want to know about the special event below,
scheduled for tomorrow..

David

July 12, 2013

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As you already know, in only a week's time, our cameras on Cassini will
be turning Earthward to take images of us and our planet alongside
Saturn and its rings.  I have been encouraging everyone to take
advantage of this special event and, at the appropriate time on July 19,
gather outside with friends and family, acknowledge the interplanetary
salute between robot and maker that this opportunity represents, and
consider the uniqueness of our planet and the life on it.  They are all
reasons for celebration, and I certainly hope you all do just that ...
celebrate!

This event has received considerable attention so far ....

     .  from the TED folks:
http://blog.ted.com/2013/07/03/say-cheese-world-saturn-is-watching/
     . from Richard Branson:
http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/pale-blue-dot
     . from Robert Krulwich of NPR:
www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/06/27/196226342/

.... and other media outlets.   We're hoping it spreads around the world.

But I also want to remind you of two contests that Diamond Sky
Productions, LLC is running in association with the July 19 event.

We will be choosing the best original contributions submitted by members
of the pubic -- an image in one case and a musical composition in
another --  to a Message to the Milky Way that will be beamed in about a
year from the most powerful radio telescope on Earth, the Areceibo dish
in Puerto Rico, in a long-distance call to our fellow galactic citizens.

I hope you can help spread the word far and wide, in any way you can ...
email, Twitter, FaceBook, whatever ... that these contests are a
serious, exciting, and meaningful way to participate in the event, that
the winning submissions will be beamed to the galaxy, and that the first
contest begins next Friday when the image representative of Planet Earth
must be taken.

For more information such as contest rules and submission requirements,
and to check out the impressive list of individuals advising this
Project, you can start at ...

         http://diamondskyproductions.com/recent/index.php#mmw

... and read on.

For the times on July 19 when the Earth images will be acquired and
instructions on how to convert to your local time, check out this page:

http://www.ciclops.org/view_event/193/A_Day_to_Celebrate_the_Pale_Blue_Dot

And come next Friday, don't forget to smile.

Best to all of you!

Carolyn Porco
CEO/President, Diamond Sky Productions, LLC
Boulder, CO

http://twitter.com/carolynporco
http://www.facebook.com/carolynporco
http://carolynporco.com