[Hac-announce] Announcement of this Friday evening's cinema

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 11:07:55 EST 2013

POTLUCK/USNH CINEMA THIS FRIDAY, 6:30 PM, THE SOCIAL HALL

Everyone concerned about social justice will agree that this Friday's
Humanist Cinema strikingly brings home the truth of two familiar maxims:
"Democracy means paying attention" and "All politics is local."  Bill Moyers'
"The United States of ALEC" is the sobering story of a powerful right-wing
organization that has been operating mostly under the radar for over 40
years.  The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) brings large
corporations together with state legislators to create what they call
"bottled legislation," which provides the models for some 1000 bills
introduced annually around the country, about 200 of which are passed in a
typical year.  Moyers calls it "a scheme to remake America, one statehouse
at a time."  As he reminds us, "What happens in our state legislatures
directly affects our taxes, schools, roads, the quality of our air and
water, even our right to vote."  Another of the film's speakers sums up the
situation this way:  "Smart players put their money in the states."

ALEC has been extolled in private meetings by right-wing politicians from
President Reagan to Speaker Boehner, but first came to prominent public
attention only recently with the slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida, where
a "Stand Your Ground" law, drafted by the National Rifle Association and
enacted in many states with ALEC's help, initially protected his killer.
You won't want to miss this eye-opening film!  It will be shown this Friday,
March 1, promptly at 7:00 pm in the USNH Social Hall, preceded at 6:30 pm by
a potluck dinner, and followed at 8:00 by a great discussion, so bring a
friend and join us!