[Hac-announce] Humanist Cinema FRIDAY NIGHT, April 5

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Thu Apr 4 22:13:52 EDT 2013

Remember that our Humanist Cinema showings take place every month through
June on the first Friday evening.  This month's offering, FRIDAY NIGHT,
APRIL 5, is a work of fiction from Finland.  Aki Kaurismäki's "The Man
Without a Past" (Mies vailla menneisyyttä) has won many cinematic awards,
most notably the 2002 Grand Prix of the Cannes Fil    m Festival and a 2003
Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Film.  Peter Travers of Rolling
Stone described it as "a delicious blend of hilarity and heartbreak."
Independent film director/producer Jim Jarmusch called it "Another classic
from one of my very favorite directors-it's sad enough to make you laugh,
and funny enough to make you cry."  It's also highly original, memorable,
and provocative, and its screening is sure to be followed by another of our
great discussions.  As always we'll start with an optional potluck dinner at
6:30 pm and begin the film promptly at 7:00.  We strongly invite you to come
and bring a special friend.