[Hac-announce] HAC Conversations, Sept. 8, 2:30pm

L.M.C. Harvey lmcharvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 04:05:10 EDT 2012

You
are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the mailing
list of
 the
Humanist  Association of Connecticut.  To unsubscribe click
on the link below.

From:
	Cynthia Harvey, Coordinator                                                          		September 7, 2012

This
is a reminder that Conversations is meeting this Saturday 9/8,  a
week later than usual.

Steven
Pinker, one of the world's leading experts on language and the mind,
explores the idea of human nature and its moral, emotional, and
political colorings.
Slate
on The
Blank Slate

September
Conversations will focus on a talk by Steven Pinker that presents, in
brief, the reasons for his contention that “We
are probably living in the most peaceful time in our species’
existence.”   The talk was recorded before the publication of
Pinker's book The
Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined,
 Pub. Oct. 4, 2011.

“The
decline of violence is a fractal phenomenon. You can see it over
millennia, over centuries, over decades and over years,”
 Pinker at Ted Talks.

You
can view the talk from the following link.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

What
is humanism?   Life
in this world is the central and defining focus of humanism. We
envision a world in which every individual's worth is respected, and
human freedom and behaving responsibly are natural aspirations.

 Humanist Institute

http://www.humanistinstitute.org/what-humanism-1

Questions and suggestions may be sent to Conversations at cthumanist.org

and