[Hac-announce] Book Discussion Group Announcements

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:58:43 EST 2012

We will be reading "Breakfast With
Buddha"<http://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Buddha-Roland-Merullo/dp/1565126165>by
Roland Merullo on Saturday, Dec. 22 at UNSH from 3 - 5 pm.

The survey to select our January book is now closed.  There was a tie
between "Freefall: American, Free Markets, and the Shrinking of the World
Economy"<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=freefall%20stiglitz>by
Joseph Stiglitz and "The
Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence Has
Declined"<http://www.amazon.com/Better-Angels-Our-Nature-Violence/dp/0143122010/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353423005&sr=1-1&keywords=better+angels+of+our+nature+by+steven+pinker>by
Steven Pinker.  So, we've decided to read both books, one in January
and
one in February.

SInce "Freefall" was on the ballot previously, we will discuss it in
January a date to be determined soon.  Manny Ratafia will moderate.  We
will discuss "Better Angels" some time in February.  After the first of the
year, we will pick a work of fiction for us to discuss in March.  The
options will include "The Red Tent" and "Snow Falling on Cedars".  If
anyone has other novels that they have read and which they would like to
suggest to the group, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the survey and, especially, to those
who participated in Saturday's excellent discussion of "She's Not There"

Dan Blinn