[Hac-announce] Tonight's cinema at USNH

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 13:25:21 EDT 2012

Humanist Association members and friends,

We have just received confirmation that power is ON at USNH!  The Social
Hall is being set up now for the potluck supper and cinema showing tonight,
at 6:30 and 7:00 pm respectively.  Below is a repeat of the announcement I
sent out to all of you yesterday.  We hope to see you there!

David Schafer

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

This Friday, November 2, 6:30 p.m., USNH Social Hall

Potluck Dinner and Cinema

"Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide"

Our November Cinema is based on the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof
and Sheryl WuDunn.  We will show a selected portion, about 1 hour and 20
minutes, of a DVD approximately 4 hour in total length.  A general
discussion will follow.  Here is a portion of the cover description:

"Take an unforgettable journey with six actress/advocates and New York Times
journalist Nicholas Kristof to meet some of the most courageous individuals
of our time, who are doing extraordinary work to empower women and girls
everywhere. These are stories of heartbreaking challenge, dramatic
transformation and enduring hope. You will be shocked, outraged, brought to
tears. Most important, you will be inspired by the resilience of the human
spirit and the capabilities of women and girls to realize their staggering
potential."

"HALF THE SKY is a passionate call-to-arms, urging us not only to bear
witness to the plight of the world's women, but to help to transform their
oppression into opportunity. Our future is in the hands of women,
everywhere."

Films in this USNH Cinema series, sponsored by the Adult Religion Education
Committee,.are shown on the first Friday evening of each month, September
through May.  Following a potluck dinner at 6:30 p.m., screenings start
promptly at 7:00 p.m.  For further information call David or June Schafer at
203-281-6232.
.