[Hac-announce] Cinema Friday November 2 AND possible postponement

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 12:00:31 EDT 2012

I have delayed any announcement of the event below because of uncertainty
about power at the Unitarian Society of New Haven, our customary meeting
place.  Paradoxically, full power was available throughout the earlier part
of this week, BUT as of yesterday afternoon the power has been shut
off--presumably to facilitate repairs elsewhere in the neighborhood.  I will
let you know with a follow-up letter to this list by 3:00 pm tomorrow
(Friday) WHETHER OR NOT power has been restored in time for the event at
6:30.  Feel free to call us at 203-281-6232 to be sure, but please leave a
message on our answering machine if for any reason we do not pick up.  If
power is NOT restored by the deadline we will reschedule the showing and let
you know.

David Schafer

This Friday, November 2, 6:30 p.m., USNH Social Hall

Potluck Dinner and Cinema

"Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide"

Our November Cinema is based on the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof
and Sheryl WuDunn.  We will show a selected portion, about 1 hour and 20
minutes, of a DVD approximately 4 hour in total length.  A general
discussion will follow.  Here is a portion of the cover description:

"Take an unforgettable journey with six actress/advocates and New York Times
journalist Nicholas Kristof to meet some of the most courageous individuals
of our time, who are doing extraordinary work to empower women and girls
everywhere. These are stories of heartbreaking challenge, dramatic
transformation and enduring hope. You will be shocked, outraged, brought to
tears. Most important, you will be inspired by the resilience of the human
spirit and the capabilities of women and girls to realize their staggering
potential."

"HALF THE SKY is a passionate call-to-arms, urging us not only to bear
witness to the plight of the world's women, but to help to transform their
oppression into opportunity. Our future is in the hands of women,
everywhere."

Films in this USNH Cinema series, sponsored by the Adult Religion Education
Committee,.are shown on the first Friday evening of each month, September
through May.  Following a potluck dinner at 6:30 p.m., screenings start
promptly at 7:00 p.m.  For further information call David or June Schafer at
203-281-6232.