[Hac-announce] February Book Selection: Uncle Tom's Cabin

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 06:49:31 EST 2012

We will be discussing Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" on
Saturday, February 25.  We are also looking into arranging a group tour of
the Harriet Beecher Stowe house in Hartford - look for more details!

The following is from the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center website:

Harriet Beecher Stowe's best known novel, *Uncle Tom's Cabin* (1852),
changed forever how Americans viewed slavery, the system that treated
people as property. It demanded that the United States deliver on the
promise of freedom and equality, galvanized the abolition movement and
contributed to the outbreak of the Civil War. The book calls on us to
confront the legacy of race relations in the U.S. as the title itself
became a racial slur.

*Uncle Tom's Cabin* was a runaway best-seller, selling 10,000 copies in the
United States in its first week; 300,000 in the first year; and in Great
Britain, 1.5 million copies in one year. It resonates with an international
audience as a protest novel and literary work.

We hope to see you on Feb 25 for what promises to be an interesting
discussion.