[Hac-announce] Darwin Double-header

David E Schafer deschafer at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 15:15:08 EST 2012

Following up on Manny's announcement of tonight's Friday night Potluck
Dinner and Cinema at USNH, here's an announcement that stresses the
CONNECTION between tonight's movie and my talk on Monday, February 20.  Even
if you saw the film "What Darwin Never Knew" a couple of years ago at our
February Humanist meeting, you may remember that it contained a wealth of
information, and you may want to refresh your memory of it tonight in
advance of my talk in 17 days.  You're warmly invited to come at 6:30 and
bring friends for the potluck before the movie.

I think all the new research about the genome AND THE EPIGENOME is powerful
stuff, and I can't get enough of it.  And the neatest part is that this is
surely just the beginning--the best is undoubtedly beyond our imagination in
the years to come!

David

DARWIN DOUBLE-HEADER - FEBRUARY 3 (FRIDAY) AND 20 (MONDAY)

As yet very few of us can fully grasp the incredible magnitude of what
Charles Darwin accomplished with a bare minimum of basic scientific
information at his disposal.  In his lifetime (February 12, 1809 - April 19,
1882), Darwin had absolutely no way to anticipate more than an infinitesimal
fraction of the profound knowledge that would ultimately flow from his acute
observations of plant and animal species, living and dead, and his brilliant
insights.into their interpretation.  Today, nearly 130 years after his
death, we are just beginning to fill in the countless billions of blanks
among the puzzles his keenly observant and fertile brain bequeathed to an
astonished posterity.

This Friday evening at 6:30 p.m. at USNH, the February offering in the
potluck dinner/Spiritual Cinema series will feature the amazing NOVA film
"What Darwin Never Knew," a beautiful introduction to an understanding of
how spiritual animals evolved from more primitive forms.  Then, on Monday,
February 20, at 7:30 p.m., the Humanists will present David Schafer further
highlighting key ideas briefly touched on in the film, in a talk entitled
"Charles Darwin and the Meaning of Life."  Positioning Darwin in the
scientific milieu of the mid-19th century, David will trace just how far, up
to this moment, the concept of Evolution has helped us to understand our own
position in the universe and thereby to recognize what and who we are.  Don't
miss this two-part series!  Bring a friend and join us for both events, with
lively discussions after each one.