[Hac-announce] Book Discussion Group Announcements

Dan Blinn danblinn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:59:29 EDT 2012

We have selected books for our next two meetings.

On May 12, we will discuss The Road
<http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/the-road/>by Cormac McCarthy.  This
novel won the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 2006.  This is a very dark
novel with some very disturbing scenes and with strong religious (and
humanist) themes.  This should lead to some very interesting discussion.
 The discussion will be at 3:00 pm at USNH.

On June 9, we will discuss God Is Not Great: How Religion Spoils
Everything<http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/god-is-not-great-christopher-hitchens/1102934966?ean=9780446579803&r=1&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-GwEz7vxblVU-_-10%3a1&>by
Christopher Hitchens.    Some of us will agree with his perspective;
others will disagree.  This should be a lively discussion.  While I don't
usually recommend audio versions of books for discussion groups, I'm making
an exception for this one; Hitch narrated it himself.  .

The June 9 discussion will take place at Stephany Cousin's home in Bethany,
CT  (thank you Stephany!).  Exact time and address will be announced as we
get closer to the event (we may meet a little earlier than usual 3:00 pm
start time).

Both books are widely available in public libraries.

When we meet on May 12, we will be selecting a fiction work to discuss in
July.   One book that we will consider is "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper
Lee.

If you would like to suggest a book (fiction or non-fiction), please email
me directly.

I hope to see many of you at the discussions, and happy reading!.

Dan Blinn
danblinn at gmail.com