[Hac-announce] Biblical Literalism

Thomas Platt tplatt13 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 12:30:00 EDT 2011

I've been storing this.  It's time to share it. - Tom Platt

at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism, found under
Pejorative Use:

Steve Falkenberg, professor of religious psychology at Eastern
Kentucky University, says, "I've never met anyone who actually
believes the Bible is literally true. I know a bunch of people who
say they believe the Bible is literally true but nobody is actually a
literalist. Taken literally, the Bible says the earth is flat and
sitting on pillars and cannot move (Ps 93:1, Ps 96:10, 1 Sam 2:8, Job
9:6). It says that great sea monsters are set to guard the edge of
the sea (Job 41, Ps 104:26)..." [17]

But hold on, this is from an article printed in 1980,  I didn't
happen to poke around for something more recent.
Excerpts from
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

"The facts are simple," says Charles K. Johnson, president of the
International Flat Earth Research Society. "The earth is flat."

"Johnson's beliefs are firmly grounded in the Bible. Many verses of
the Old Testament imply that the earth is flat, but there's more to
it than that. According to the New Testament, Jesus ascended up into
heaven."

"The whole point of the Copernican theory is to get rid of Jesus by
saying there is no up and no down," declares Johnson. "The spinning
ball thing just makes the whole Bible a big joke."